Sunday, December 10, 2017

OK OK

It's not a real reason to be absent, I'm aware. I'm an author, and I do all my own publishing, my own publicity, my own everything. Sometimes I slip, or lose my energy; this has happened recently because of two things. First, my dad has been sick, forcing me to drive across the White Sands (see picture below) twice or three times a week; it's a long drive, and quite beautiful, especially this spot where the sand is literally coming right over the fence. I have lots of time to think, but unfortunately, less time to do publicity or write.

Second, of course, is my son's burgeoning fame as a Youtuber. He makes money; he's well known; he enjoys a certain status in a tight community of "content producers." I too am a content producer, but I plug away, and have no niche, only a small following, very few "likes." Some, yes. But I write short stories. Who reads those these days?

And I write haiku. These days, about four a day, and this fills my plate; slowly I'm getting a thousand more for e pluribus haiku 2018. These, I'm thinking, I'll turn into a book. I have a few thousand; I could easily make five thousand, have a plot, and make everything I've done as background. It's a wild and beautiful country, and it's a very agitated times. People are struggling to keep their sanity with an abuser-in-chief and out-of-control foreign policy. Maybe that's my niche - making colorful, lively portraits of parts of the country, with very few words, illuminating its character.

The sand blows over the fence - time marches on. I'll be back. I'm writing a play about Hoover, and have about a dozen projects I'm working on. You'll see some soon, especially if I get some free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment