Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Quaker Plays for First Days

Introducing a new book of plays:



$7.28 + shipping at Amazon
All profits go to Quaker organizations.

Includes the following plays:
Down in Our Hearts (2016)
Silly Poor Gospel (2016)
Mor I Xon (2013)
Bartram's Flower (2009)
Second First Day at the Interfaith (2008)
The Monster of Kanifloria (2007)
Good Tidings of Yule (2006)
Thou Heardest My Voice (2005)
The Turning Point (2004)
Quakers Rock the 17th Century (2004)
The Life and Times of Lucretia Mott (2001)
The Life and Times of John Woolman (1999)
The Story of Benjamin West, Quaker Artist(1998)
The White Feather (1997)


I can't say I'm a master at this; I am at least prolific, though. These plays have been out there for almost twenty years, published in various paper forms, not easily accessible. When I compiled them I was faced with the choice of using the skills I'd gathered over twenty years to redo each of the older ones, or just publish them as they were written and performed, back in the day, in the Interfaith Center (for the most part), Carbondale Illinois USA. I chose the latter, and, as a tribute, put the meetinghouse itself on the cover (it is, in fact, endangered, as one of the plays will attest). For the children (now adults, or at least young adults) of Southern Illinois Quaker Meeting, this book will be a walk through the past, and I can't say that all of them will be overwhelmed with joy and sweet memories. But all of them learned a lot about Quakerism (my intent), and I promise each of them one of these books, if I should ever find them.

I could tell you more about each one: each has a history, is different from the rest, works on different themes. Instead I think I'll refer you to my quaker website where I'll try to be very complete about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment